Stepping Stone to Paleo

    I wanted to be a nutritionist when I was growing up. Food excites me. It all started when I was in Grade V. We had this subject, Home Economics, wherein I was a leader of one of the 4 groups in my class. This subject was about home management and caring for your home and family. We were taught how to run a family properly, handicrafts, sewing, cleaning a house, cooking, baking, nutrition, even how to plan a balanced meal. I was always excited to learn anything about this subject but what really sparked my interest  was food and nutrition. Hence, I started to read about food, what it does to our body, what the nutrition value of a certain food is, and recipes!

    I baked my first cookie when I was 12 and have been baking since then. It gives me a certain high every time I see my baked products. But after all the butter, gluten from flour, sugar that I consumed for the past 40+ years, I acquired this problem in my stomach. I had hyperacidity or acid dyspepsia which later led to stomach ulcers. Good thing it was treated with medication but from time to time I still felt bloated and acidic. Until recently, Paleo diet was introduced to me, but I did not attempt to try it right away. My husband then was having problem with his knee and the doctor advised him to lose weight. I had now reason to try Paleo diet for him and for me.

    I started searching for Paleo in the net and found this. I began cleaning up my pantry. Little by little, I got rid of the canned goods (except for the tuna), the instant noodles, the soy sauce, refined sugar, salt, cornstarch, flour, butter, milk (evaporated and condensed), cheese, seasonings. I looked for substitutes that are paleo, like coco aminos for soy sauce, coco sugar for refined sugar, coco flour for all-purpose flour, coco milk powder for milk, sea salt for salt, and recently, oyster-like coco sauce for oyster sauce.

    For 30 days we tried the Paleo diet, and I lost 10 pounds while Tommy lost 15 pounds. We never felt as healthy as before, as slim as before and most of all I do not feel bloated and do not feel any gas pain in my stomach anymore.

     I may no longer be baking my favorite goodies, but I am more satisfied now that I do what first attracted me to food - cooking what is nutritious and good for the health of the family. My goal for today is to create a dessert and baked goodies using Paleo-friendly ingredients. Hope to come up with my creation in the next two weeks or so. And yes, this is included in my 60 before 60.

 

Comments

  1. Are You Having Problems FOLLOWING with the Paleo Diet?

    Want to eat healthy delicious recipes TONIGHT?

    Check out the: Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Healthy Paleo Chicken Recipe

Pork Binagoongan with Ampalaya

Paleo Tuna Spaghetti with Pansit-pansitan

My Plants

Cream Dory Paleo Piccata